Friday, June 30, 2006

Attraction in Action - Synchronicities Abound

The last couple of months have gone by so fast I'm still catching up with myself.

I woke from a dream this morning and realized that I've been pushing so hard, on so many fronts, that I need to take a little moment of reflection before I charge off again in to the fray.

It's been two weeks now since our family trip to Pasadena to take the kids (all except Daniel who had finals and had to join us later) to the Peak Potentials Millionaire Mind Intensive. It was my second time through the event with my husband, and we had sort of thought "well, we've done this before..."

I guess we figured that the main reason for the trip was for the "kids" (ages 18 to 25 calling them kids seems a little funky, but what else to call them? The offspring?) hmmmm...

Our original plan had been to attend the April event, however, when it was scheduled mid week, we had to choose again. With the combined work and school schedules around here, mid week just wasn't a happening thing. So June it was.

My intention all along had been very direct and simple. I wanted the boys to be able to attend the three day event and then continue on to Seal Beach to meet with their dad while Carsten and I flew home. We had planned a rental van for the week; and with Tom now being 25 it was easy to add him as the second driver. This would also leave them the option of deciding how long they wanted to stay in southern California visiting.

Our plans all worked out perfectly: the day after the seminar Carsten and I flew home as Daniel flew down. We were in the air at the same time going in opposite directions.. pretty funny. When we landed we called Tom's cell phone and he had already retrieved Dan (we had flown in and out of the same airports in opposing directions so we could pick up our car which Dan had driven to get to his flight.)

What I had not considered in all the time between our originally scheduled April attendance at the seminar, was that the dates we had been switched to for the seminar were now June 15 - 17th. Even as I was setting up the flights and going over the details with everyone I failed to notice that this put the boys' meeting with their father smack dab on Father's Day.

And so it was that after almost 11 years, their reunion actually occurred on Father's Day. When I consider how this came about I realize first that were I to have been aware of how this was playing out I might have pulled back: thinking it was too much, too intense, not a good idea... I certainly could not have managed to orchestrate this event from the place of intending it would happen on Father's Day. But, as I sometimes need to remind myself, "the manager had planned it better than anyone ever could."

Oh, and along the way, just as a little surprise for my husband and me, the second experience of the seminar proved to be as powerful and uplifting as our first experience. Different, certainly, as we were working hard to stay in our own experience and not get hung up in what or how the kids decided to interact with it all. As it turned out, there were very different things which engaged and inspired each of them and we were able to enjoy watching them each find their own place in it all. Mostly that happened in our conversations after the days events, as we purposefully encouraged them to split up from us and have their own experiences.

In the end, it seemed my original intent, that the three days in the seminar would provide some strength and some energy for them to "ride" as it were, in to their reunion with their dad, worked out just as I'd hoped. The reports on their return home confirmed that they had had a good visit and that, according to an old family friend on the scene, their father had been his most stable and most grounded only in the last few weeks before the visit. Apparently, had our plans gone through in April, it seemed that they would not have even been able to locate him at that time; as no one knew where he was living then.

In the days just before our departure for Pasadena my mother had once again entered the hospital in Boston and I had several days of phone calls and messages trying to accomplish a direct conversation with the doctors at the hospital. Finally, on the ay of our departure I got a call back from the in hospital physician and we had a very good and rather extended conversation. It seemed mom had developed pneumonia since coming in to the hospital and would be staying there at least through the weekend or until they could "get the pneumonia under control".

I called her when I arrived home Father's Day and we had a good talk. She was glad to hear about the boys seeing their dad and about their experiences at the seminar. She actually thanked me for calling, which was quite surprising as she had been feeling particularly low for the last month or so and had, on most occasions either not answered her phone or simply said "I can't talk now" when I had been calling.

Back in February, when I had made my last trip to Boston to help get her moved in to a new place where she had the benefits of assisted living, I had been working hard to get the doctors to please enroll the assistance of hospice care. For, even though no one knew how long mom would live, it was clear she was never going to fully recover her health and that she needed, in my opinion, some serious support in the area of having people to talk to about her situation and what she was going through.

The doctors had, during the weeks and months since then, maintained their position that it was unclear as to whether mom required hospice as it seemed she was not within their six month window. (Apparently, the medical community only contacts hospice when they have determined that the patient has six months or less of life remaining). While I understood their reluctance, and was not trying to insist that mom was going to die sooner rather than later, I still felt that their prognosis of her multiple terminal illnesses was just cause for her to have additional support and a chance to interact with people who were familiar with death, with the multiple issues she was confronting emotionally and which, no matter how we tried, she was loathe to share with her children.

Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call only two days after coming home from Pasadena to learn that the in hospital doctor had indeed enrolled hospice in caring for mom!

I was slightly apprehensive of how she herself would feel about this, but discovered when I spoke with her later that day that she was not only in agreement with it but was thrilled to have "her own team" as she put it, of people who were there to help her.

Rereading portions of The Nature of the Psyche yesterday and thinking of all these events I was again reminded of how powerful, and how amazing our larger, broader, inner selves really are. The natural grace and perfect unfolding of all our most deeply held intentions is always under way, even when we ourselves have lost sight of them. As ever, the only real work for us is lining up with our heart's desire and trusting in its fulfillment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home